The traditional Jin Hock eating place (previously known as Nam Heng Restaurant - MK22-98332A) along Simon Road has seen its fair share of history since it was built in 1936. This coffee shop would have served the fishermen and farmers who plied their trade just after the sixth mile junction. The Japanese soldiers of WW2 would have driven past this building and onwards to Ponggol beach. The black and white photo above was taken in 1983.
Here's another picture taken in the 90s. (Photo credit: National Archives of Singapore) In this picture, you can see that the sign board - Nam Heng Rest. - has now been firmly lodged above the building entrance. Also, Singapore was still using the four digit postal code. The country adopted the six digit postal code on 1 September 1995.
Comparing to the coloured photo taken off Google Map (May 2011), the building's structure has not changed much. The road though was much narrower. The overhead bridge has been removed and the buildings on the right, demolished.
The building has recently been renamed to Jin Hock Eatery and has gone through some upgrading. Gone are the little square tiles and their old sign boards.