Sunday, May 17, 2015

A Ride Through the Years

Wonderful bus exhibition by the Singapore School and Private Hire Bus Owner Association

Today in Singapore Trails, I visited the bus exhibition at Pek Kio Community Club. I read about this exhibition and I thought back to those years where my parents brought me and my sisters around via public transport. 

The Leyland brand of public buses, ticket clipper and bus sign

Frankly, public buses has been a part many people's lives. I remember the bus brand - Leyland. I remember the thin-rod gear stick that sometimes, the bus drivers found it hard to engage. I remember the bus conductors using their ticket clippers to knock on their ticket holders to get the attention of those who have yet to pay their fare to pay up. I remember the fogged-up bus windows whenever it rained and where we were forced to shut all windows, barring those that were stuck. I remember my first bus ride, bus number 62 that brought me to my school in Geylang. That was also a time that I bawled my eye out as I could not reach the bell because I was way too short to press the red bell strip found on the ceiling of these buses.

Trolley buses

Trolleybuses used during the Japanese Occupation

There were pictures of trolley buses used during the Japanese Occupation. During that time, electricity would have been at a premium and thus a ride in these trolley buses would not be within reach of the common man.  It was also shared that charcoal buses (Burning of charcoal to power the buses) were also used.

After the war, the Singapore Traction Company started its trolley bus service in 1946. The last of the trolley bus service was taken off the road in 1962. So no more ugly-looking overhead wires. (1)

Bus Tickets
 
Bus tickets from the different bus companies
The bus tickets were all so colourful. Different colours signifying the different prices that one paid based on the planned distance travelled. There are the single coloured bus ticket for students, while the adults have the tiered-pricing tickets based on distance. I used to collect heaps of these.

Different tickets and the old bus ticket stamp

Bus Signs

Hand-written signs placed on both the front and side of the bus




Updated: November 20, 2016


References

1. Off for good: S’pore trolley buses (December 16, 1962). The Sunday Times, p. 15. Retrieved from NewspaperSG.

No comments: