Sunday, September 28, 2014

[Museum] A Visit to the Children Little Museum



Two questions that the man at the front desk asked when I'd first stepped into the shop,"Le Ai ki Lao Teng Mai?" (Do you want to go upstairs?) and "你要拍全家福” (Do you want to take a family portrait?)


I started my conversation with a Mr Ang when my son asked whether he could buy a display toy. Mr Ang, who was just a short distance away, walked over and dissuaded my son from even thinking of touching the cars as it will cost him more than a hundred dollars to buy such collector's items. Thank goodness that I did not have to part with my money!


But I did part with S$6 ($2/pax) to visit the Children Little Museum. Mr Ang asked whether we had wanted to visit the museum and though I was only mildly keen, I felt that it was a good way to support Singaporeans who are keen to preserve local history, heritage and culture.

You might ask me of my initial reluctance of not wanting to visit the museum at first. The reason was that it was really a small shop house, and I opined that there may not be much to see since the museum is only located on one level. But I told myself that if I had wanted to support local conservation effort, I should then support this effort by the private collectors.


The thrill starts when we walked through the door. The wall was lined with old toys, from tricycles to wooden horses.


Other than loose toys, the second floor also sees thematically-arranged areas - the old street barber shop, the drink stall with old FnN bottles, and even a facade of an old kampung school - Pei Hsin Public School.


There was also well stocked shelves of books and stationary, as one would see in book shops of yesteryears.

We took our time to scrutinize the 'oldies' and frankly, it was worth the S$2. 

We descended the flights of steps and Mr Ang greeted us readily and was asking me if it was a good visit. Yes it was, I'd replied.


To which he jumped in to ask if we had wanted to take a family photo together with the old Vespa bike. It felt like he was a seasoned campaigner who knew what makes the people tick. Being open and friendly was definitely a good start.Though we rejected the offer (camera-shy), we still proceeded to try out the Vespa.

And spend some money I did as my son beckoned me to buy him the styrofoam plane for S$1 each.

Overall, it was indeed an interesting outing for the family. 

Address: 42 Bussorah Street
Singapore 199460

No comments: